Upon completion of the course the learners will know how to:
- Interpret plans showing location of underground services
- Identify different service apparatus encountered during an excavation
- Identify risks and implications of damage to underground apparatus
- Understand and be able to use the cable & pipe locating devices
- Underground services – identification methods
- Regulations with respect to detecting and tracing underground services
- Reasons for using locators
- Hazards arising from the use of Cable Avoidance Tools and Signal Generators and precautions which should be observed
- Identification of types and limitations of Cable Avoidance Tools and Signal Generators.
- Implications of damage, handling and transporting of equipment
- The methods of safe use of pipe and cable location equipment, along with basic loading techniques
- Safe working practices
Certification: Upon completion of the course the learners will be required to complete a short knowledge test and practical assessment, which upon successful completion will entitle them to be awarded with a certificate supplied by City & Guilds (6156-01).
NB: Learners must supply their own Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for this course.